Oakley Surf Shop Challenge
Originally conceived to provide a fun, competitive format to the hardest of the hardcore surf shop surf teams, the SURFER Shop Team Challenge was one of the most anticipated contest events of the early 1980s. Taking place exclusively in Southern California, the Shop Challenge was an annual opportunity to put sales numbers aside and settle the score in the water.
Bridging the gap from the era of pink wetsuits and ’80s music, the Shop Challenge has now emerged as one of the hottest contest circuits. You think those pros went hard back in the day? Put a colored jersey on a shop rat, give him 15 minutes to release all that energy pent up from sitting behind the counter, mix in the already-intense regional competition between surf shops, and you have all the makings of a battle royale.
Last year, it was Jack’s Surfboards from Huntington Beach, CA that took the coveted grand prize. This year, invigorated by the overwhelming success of the last six years, the Surf Shop Challenge is back. And with shops lining up to enter, Jack’s is hungry to defend their title.
The competition is fierce as more than 70 teams compete across seven regions for a chance to take the glory home for their shop. If that’s not motivation enough, the winning team from each of the regions (Southwest, Southeast, Mid-Atlantic, Northeast, Northwest, Hawaii and the West) will duke it out for the overall title during the Championship this June in Bali, Indonesia during the Oakley Bali Pro. We’re also giving a spread in SURFER Magazine to the winning team along with a $10,000 winner-take-all prize purse. And then there’s the bragging rights.
* Southwest – SurfRide Oceanside (Oceanside, CA)
* Southeast – Sunrise Surf Shop (Jacksonville, FLA)
* Mid-Atlantic – Sweetwater (Wrightsville Beach, NC)
* Northeast – 7th Surf Shop, Asbury Ave (Ocean City, NJ)
* Northwest – Channel Islands Surfboards (Santa Barbara, CA)
* Hawaii – Hawaiian Island Creations (Kailua, HI)
* West – Revolution (Camarillo, CA)
* June 17-20 – National Championship – Keramas/Canggu, Bali, Indo
• $10,000 CASH PRIZE TO OVERALL CHAMPION
• Free full-page spread in SURFER Magazine
• Online Ads: additional 500,000 impressions on Sufermag.com
Each regional champion receives:
• Expense paid trip to the National Championships in Bali, Indonesia
• Oakley Sunglasses
• Free full-page shop profile in SURFER Magazine
• Additional New Era Caps
• Custom Sol Republic headphones
• 250,000 impressions on SURFERmag.com